Top 10 Gardening Trends For Spring And Summer
April 29, 2013
- Fragrant flowers- As humans, it’s instinctive to want to smell every flower. Unfortunately not every bloom is blessed with a pleasant scent. A fragrant garden is a must have for this summer. Plants with blissful scents such as lavender, honeysuckle, and gardenias are skyrocketing in popularity.
- Easily maintained bulbs-Planting bulbs is the quick and easy way to get the pop of color in the garden that everyone strives for. From colored tulips and daffodils to Siberian Squill, all it takes is a trowel and a bag of bulbs to create gorgeous pops of color.
- Heirloom seed saving- With self-sustained gardening soaring in popularity, many are finding enjoyment in a new hobby in saving the seeds from their favorite plants for next season.
- Eat what you grow- Many people are embracing the trend of edible landscaping. From potted raspberry plants to homegrown squash, it’s more popular than ever before to have a well-maintained, good looking yard you can eat from.
- Personal herb gardens- Along with the “eat what you grow” movement, many gardeners are growing their own herbs as well. Rosemary, basil, and parsley gardens are popping up all over the country!
- Oversized hanging baskets- Hanging baskets are everywhere this year! Whether it’s single variety flower or a mixed arrangement of blooms and vegetables filling your basket, this summer’s gardening motto is-the bigger, the better!
- Weatherproof plants- Xeriscaping has long been a buzzword for those who seek to garden without an irrigation source. As weather becomes more and more unpredictable, plant breeders have started raising plants that will survive harsh conditions such as Tesselaar’s Next Generation Flower Carpet roses.
- Permeable pavers- If you’ve been looking for the way to manage water with style, permeable pavers are the solution. Permeable pavers allow the movement of storm water to percolate through their surfaces to reduce run-off.
- Variegated foliage- While most plants bloom seasonally, variegated foliage grows all year long. Mix it in with seasonal flowers for the perfect container plant for your garden.
- Old fashioned flowers- Indulge your nostalgia and plant old fashioned flowers like hydrangeas, moonflower, and celosia to give your garden a classic look.