With the first official day of spring right around the corner, now is the time to get your landscape ready for the warmer days ahead. Here are a few of our landscape tips to get the best-looking lawn possible.
- Clean up your lawn and garden – The first thing you want to do to prep your landscape for spring is clean up your lawn and garden. Pick up all branches that may have fallen into your yard during the winter and remove any leaves or debris that may be on the lawn or in your garden.
- Get started on pruning your plants – Spring is a great time to remove any dead shrubs and trees, but keep in mind it is best to do any major pruning after your shrubs have flowered. Clear out the debris under your shrubs and cut back your perennials and ornamental grasses. Also, cut any non-woody plants down to ground level.
- Fertilize your lawn – Fertilizing your lawn is one of the best ways to jump-start the health of your yard. Although snow is rare in Georgia, if it does snow then the nutrients in the soil that make your grass thrive could potentially be washed out. Fertilizer will provide soil with nutrients such as nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous. When you buy fertilizer make sure you buy a bag that is high in nitrogen content to get a lush, green lawn.
- Adjust and sharpen lawn mower blades – If you winterized your lawn mower now if the time to sharpen the blades and raise the height of the blades.
- Lay mulch – Laying mulch is very important as it helps to prevent weeds from breaking through the ground and it also retains moisture for plants and smaller trees. We suggest you apply a fresh layer of mulch over all flowerbeds to help reduce the amount of weeds that will pop up. You will also want to pull any weeds that have emerged after mulching.
- Edge your garden bed – Use an edging tool to cut the grass edge each spring to keep your garden and lawn in their place. Edging should be done once a year to avoid grass from creeping into your garden.
Spring is one of the best times of the year for yard work, especially considering how beautiful Georgia is in the spring. If the thought of preparing your landscape for the spring is a nightmare, let us help. Here at Mansell Landscape Management we offer ongoing landscape maintenance as well as seasonal landscape plans. If you have any questions about landscape management, contact us today.